I remember when my mom brought Coca Cola from America to Russia for my 8th birthday. I have never seen canned drinks before and it was so cool to open one, then feel the bite of soda water in the back of my throat. We had soda drinks in Russia, but they weren't nearly as good as Coke was. And we now know why - it has the perfect combination of sugar, salt and fizz to get us asking for more.
Unfortunately conventional sodas like Coke, Sprite, etc are loaded with high fructose corn syrup and chemicals that can weaken our immune systems, cause acne, add extra pounds, elevate blood pressure and even cause diabetes.
If you find yourself craving a bubbly soda, here are my top Z-Tips for choosing the best options:
MY TOP Z-TIPS FOR SODA DRINKERS:
1. My favorite soda by far is by SpinDrift and I can't get enough of their grapefruit flavor. It has no sugar added and instead it is sweetened with a little bit of freshly squeezed juice. It is divine!
2. La Croix soda - this brand can be found in almost all grocery stores around the country and they even have a cola flavored variety.
3. 365 Brand Italian Sparkling Water in Raspberry-Lemon flavor. I love that this water comes in big glass bottles, so it is healthier for you and it tastes incredible even though it has zero calories and no sweeteners. The only thing I don't love about it is that it goes flat quickly if you don't drink it all. I wish they sold it in smaller bottles so it had that fizzy bite.
4. Zevia is another brand that's not too shabby. They do have stevia in it to sweeten the flavor, but personally I prefer no sweetener at all.
5. If you don't want to give up your Coca Cola and still want to indulge in the original, then I suggest doing just that - go for the original version with real sugar and no high fructose corn syrup. You can even try "Mexican" coke - coke that's made in Mexico and actually has cleaner ingredients! Also, stick to small 8-oz portions and keep your intake to a minimum. Do indulge if you must, but don't make it a daily habit if you want your body to keep strong!
FUN FACT: Did you know that Diet Coke is excellent for cleaning toilets! Yes, I would rather put in the toilet that in my body. In my opinion, anything that has aspartame and other artificial sweeteners belongs in the garbage - your body is too precious to be fed chemicals!
Share with me what your favorite comfort drinks and foods are.
One of the biggest challenges my clients face when they start working with me is discovering that deep inside them there is a voice that sabotages their successes. Somewhere deep inside there is a voice that keeps telling them that they are not good enough… Continue reading here.
One of my favorite Disney movies is Beauty and the Beast. Little girls from an early age are taught to look through the looks and love people for who they are. I think we all consciously try to do that. Except for one person. In my line of work I often see women who can't fall in love with themselves. Continue reading here.