If you have been over-indulging during the holidays and need to detox or simply want to jump-start a life-long path to health, I want to recommend experiencing the magic of raw, unpasteurized juice cleanses. My clients who are juicing have seen their energy increase, their skin starting to glow, weight being released and signs of aging being reversed.
Luckily in Boca we have great juice companies that can make your detox easy and delicious. I have personally tried juices at all of the companies this blog, so you can rest assured, these are truly couture-style, creative drinks.
The hardest part of juicing with these pros was figuring out which one I liked better! Truth be told, I loved these four the best and want to share my Z-tips on juicing with you! Do not that I am not ranking them - they are simply the best juice companies that I found and enjoyed. They all have something different to offer, creating perfect fits for different clients.
First of all, why try a juice cleanse to begin with? Even though we are watching what we eat and make the right food choices, toxins still lurk into our bodies. For example, if you go out to eat, then you have pesticides and toxins in your system from non-organic foods that are found in most restaurants. The unpleasant side effect of having them in our systems can be seen in weight gain, low energy, unclear skin and many illnesses.
By doing a simple detox, you will give your digestive system a vacation so your body can get rid of harmful toxins, boost its energy, release extra weight, promote deeper sleep and reduce stress. Think of the detox as you think of dry cleaning your clothes – a necessary part of life that helps you look and feel great!
· Take advantage of nutritional consultations prior to the cleanse
· Eat light, vegan foods before and after your cleanse to ease in and out of the cleanse
· Only choose organic juices, otherwise you will be putting toxins and pesticides right back into your body
· Choose cold-pressed juices (like the ones in this blog) that retain most benefits from fruits and vegetables
· Don’t eat heavy foods such as bread and animal proteins right before and right after the cleanse
· Don’t use the cleanse as quick fix – it is a reboot for the system and not a crash diet
· Don’t pressure yourself into doing a long cleanse if you are not ready.
MY ORGANIC JUICE
Even the raw food guru David “Avocado” Wolfe is a big fan of My Organic Juice and he has a great reason for it. This company was started by a husband and wife team to help her heal and their passion for juicing is now helping many others get healthy. What I love about this company:
· Easy personal delivery system - you don’t even have to leave your house or office
· All glass-bottled
· Local produce
· Order by noon and have your juice personally delivered to you next day (weekday deliveries only)
· Cleanse bottles are labeled 1 through 6, so it is easy to follow
· If you want a delicious treat, try the Strawberry Dream smoothie
· Get a FREE cooler bag with a cleanse
· Complimentary nutritional counseling with a health coach is available
Z-Tip: Sign up for their convenient auto-renewal delivery program and make juice a daily habit - you will look and feel fabulous all year long. As Chelsea Silverman say: “Don’t Think, Just Drink!” Your body will thank you!
To order call 561.809.5925 or email at Chelsea@myorganicjuice.com http://myorganicjuice.com
This all-juice company is dedicated to making great-tasting juices in an eco-friendly and convenient way. What I love about them is:
· All glass-bottled
· Free delivery on juice cleanses
· Has many pick-up locations
· Infra-red sauna is available for use at their Fort Lauderdale location to help you detox and release toxins
· 1-day Cleanse has 6 juices and 3 energy shots
· Get a FREE cooler bag with a 3-day cleanse
· Pick up some raw vegan snacks to help you ease in and ease out of the cleanse
· Nutritional counseling is available
Z-Tip: Return 10 of their bottles to them and get 1 free juice!
3100 NW Boca Raton Blvd., #408 Boca Raton, FL 33431 855-Go-Swami http://www.swamijuiceco.com
Raw Juce is a juice-aholic’s paradise that offers 14 different juices, 9 smoothies, 4 shots and 8 dessert drinks that can satisfy your thirst and hunger. What I love about this store:
· They offer walk-in cleanses
· Samples of every juice are available before purchase
· Big selection of green juices
· Free consultation with a certified health coach
· Raw vegan foods, acai bowls and smoothies are available for purchase to ease in and out of the cleanse
· Convenient location off Glades rd and I-95
· Juice till dinner cleanses are great for beginners
Z-tip: Jarrod Levy, a store manager has been on a juice cleanse for 72 days (he loved it so much, he didn’t want to stop!) and he lost 60 pounds. Stop by and ask him for his tips on how to do a cleanse and still enjoy life.
2200 Glades Rd Ste. 403, Boca Raton, Florida 33431. 561.424.JUCE www.RawJuce.com
Christopher’s Kitchen has been one of my favorite places to eat at for years and now they are also offering juice cleanses. What I love about Christopher’s Kitchen is:
· More than 20 juices are available
· Great selection of to-go Raw Vegan meals at their Market area
· They offer walk-in cleanses
· Inspiring names such as Glow, Abundance, Youthful, Clarity, Illuminate add great energy to the cleanses
· Their Brazilnut milk is out of this world amazing and helps support thyroid health
· Samples of juices are available before you purchase
· Their to-go smoothies are a perfect addition to a cleanse for beginners
Z-tip: Enjoy Christopher’s kitchen meals in the dining room to ease into the cleanse and you will transform your world. Save room for dessert - their lemon vanilla cheesecake is to live for!
4783 PGA Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418 (561) 318-6191 http://christopherskitchenfl.com
When you are looking to experiment with new kinds of food, especially raw foods, it can get a little overwhelming. To help you get started, I interviewed the creators of RawVolution.com and the writers of their new book – RawVolution Continues.
If you live in LA (and if that’s the case, I am very envious!) you can drive down to their restaurant in Santa Monica and experience some of their foods before trying to make them. But if you don’t have such opportunity, don’t despair – Matt Amsden shared his tips on what’s most popular, what’s easy to make and what is sooooo worth the time to make it. To purchase the book, click here.
Z-Tip – look at the numbers under each recipe and you will find how easy or complex they are as each one is rated on a scale from 1 to 3. Thank you, Matt and Janabai for this great reference!
Those who love raw food, love it for two reasons – you get the most nutrition and it is easy to prepare. Case in point – smoothies! Turn to page 54, 63 or 62 to find some delicious recipes for super easy concoctions.
Wakame salad, one of my personal favorites is also very easy to create. I am happy to share the recipe below from page 151.
Another easy one is the Dragon Rolls from page 176. They are filled with nutrition, flavor and take little time to prepare.
If you have already experimented with raw foods, then try the super-tasty Sea Cakes with Cilantro Chutney from page 132. Make a lot at a time, so you’ll get more than just one meal.
For those who can’t imagine life without bread, don’t despair! Instead make the fabulous Focaccia Bread from page 125. Dip it in Olive oil or have it with a salad and you will feel satisfied. It is also great to be refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
When I talked to Matt, I also wanted to know what his personal favorite superfoods are. We all got our staple outfits in the closet and the same applies to pantry as our personal tastes reflect our choices. Try one or all of them, accessorize your meals with them and see how they fit you:
CREAMY WAKAME SEAWEED SALAD
FOR THE DRESSING
FOR THE SALAD
To make the dressing, in a high speed blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
To make the salad, combine the wakame, cilantro, green onions, and sesame seeds in a large salad bowl. Toss the salad with the dressing. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Today I went to the Raw Food expo to check out what's good and new. To make sure I had enough energy, I started the day with a green juice and supplements of blue green algae, Omega 3 and spirulina. Armed with my green juices and coconut water I had a great and energetic day of meeting great new people and viewing new products.
Now, I am off to relax and recharge my batteries. If you don't know what to do with yourself because you can't stop thinking about food, I suggest making a list of distractions, things that you like to do that don't involve food. My list includes playing with my dog, shopping, smelling Fresia flowers and drinking Orange Blossom Tea, just to name a few. I hope that you find something that can distract you from food and make you happy. Remember, a detox is not meant as a torture, it is meant to detoxify your body, so enjoy this time, knowing that your body is getting healthier and stronger. So, think positively!
Have a wonderful saturday!
The best way to start a detox is with a SuperFood Smoothie that features the following:
Banana (for potassium to regulate water in your body)
Papaya (for digestive enzymes)
Raspberries & Strawberries (for vitamin C and fiber)
Broccoli (vitamin C and fiber)
Spirulina and Chlorella (to remove toxins from your body and get more protein)
Ground flax seeds (for protein, fiber and Omega 3 that reduces inflammation. This will also hold the smoothie together and keep it from separating
Ice (To boost metabolism)
Put all of the ingredients in the vitamix, pour in a big glass and enjoy!
Lunch and Dinner will be veggie juices. Snacks are Young Thai Coconut Water and Kombucha. If you get very hungry, have an apple or another high-fiber piece of fruit.
If you don't want to do juice fasts, do a smoothie cleanse. Just make extra servings of them and keep in air-tight containers, such as Ball Jars ($9 for 12 at a grocery store) Flaxseeds will keep the smoothie looking good :)
Cheers to your health!
As we are approaching the start of a 7-Day Detox, here is the list of things I will be getting. Depending on your commitment to health, your schedule and overall well-being, feel free to either go all the way, or just do some of the suggestions. For those who want a turn-key detox solution delivered right to them in South Florida, take a look at my SuperFood Detox Program here.
If you don't want to go on an all-juice detox, but want to jump-start your health and boost metabolism, I suggest you eliminate all animal products, all non-fruit sugar and anything that comes from a package. Focus on eating plant-based foods and add as many of the suggestions below to your day as you can.
Whichever you decide, simply adding these superfoods and drinks will give you more energy and make you feel better!
Go green with Kale, Collard Greens, Parsley, Spinach, Dandellion Greens, Napa Cabbage and Bok Choy. You can either juice your greens, or if you are new to detoxing, you can blend them with frozen berries or fruit like bananas, mangoes and pineapple.
Buy celery, cucumbers and carrots to give your juice volume and dilute the bitter greens
Buy apples and pineapple. They are great for juicing and sweetening up your drinks
4. Omega 3
Choose Omega 3 supplements that come from small, wild fish.
If you are juicing, you will need spirulina as tablets. If you decide to try smoothies, you can add spirulina as a powder. Did you know that many varieties of spirulina has more protein per 100 grams than meat? But start small. Spirulina has a strong taste and you may want to take it easy in the beginning.
6. Blue Green Algae
Right in your Whole Foods supplements isle, look for their store brand of Blue Green Algae. Best $16.99 you can spend!
7. Natural Calm Magnesium
Great supplement to get your digestive tract moving and help you sleep better when you are detoxing.
8. Herbal Teas
If you feel cold and need to warm up, a cup of hot tea can do that trick!
9. Citrus Fruits
To relieve hunger during the first days, lemons and grapefruits are perfect ways to help you ease into the detox. Add lemon to your water and eat grapefruits as snacks.
10. Lavender Candle or Pouch
Smelling lavender will help you keep the cravings away when they try to sabotage your detox on the first day.
11. Kombucha or Probiotic Supplements
Good bacteria is vital for your digestive system and Kombucha is a great way to get a dose in. I also find that my cravings are weaker when I drink it.
WHAT I WILL BE DOING:
Friday: A light non-animal product breakfast like oatmeal with fruit. Start my juices at lunch.
Saturday- Thursday: Make 3 green juices or smoothies a day and use them to replace meals. Take one of the suggested supplements a day with your juices/smoothies, but not all of them at once. Split the supplements in groups and take with different juices. Drink plenty of water and rest as much as possible, especially this weekend, in the beginning of the detox.
I will be blogging about my detox experience, so check back here if you need support!
Why ask me?
- After many challenges and different crazy life experiences I am living my dream life and since my friends say I am pretty wisdomous and I think I am a little bit funny too, I want to share my life approach with you so you can live the life you love as well.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I am a creator of #1 Best Diet as selected by Harpers Baazar Magazine
- I started my career in the corporate world and didn't even know how to peel a shallot
- I have been a chef for celebrities for over 10 years
- I have a realistic approach to food and life
- I have a great relationship with food and can even let chocolate go bad because I simply forget I have it at home (something I wasn't able to do 10 years ago)
- I eat carbs whenever I feel like it without any guilt
- I used to hate to cook and now absolutely love being a private chef and a food relationship coach
- I wear whatever clothes I desire no matter what everyone is wearing or thinking
- I am in good shape and my body’s biological age is 13 years younger than the one in my passport
- I have experience being super poor, super wealthy and in between
- I’ve worked in corporate world and am now an entrepreneur
- I was married and divorced
- I used to cry going to work because I was so miserable with my boss
- I’ve had an emotional eating disorder
- I moved from Russia to USA alone at the age of 15
- I’ve lived in Russia, Europe and on both coasts of USA
- I have been super skinny and overweight
- I have been insecure and unhappy with reasons and secure and happy for no reason
- I used to wear glasses and healed my eyes with the power of thought and exercises
- I created "Couture Nutrition®" so you can have tailor-made solutions for your body and soul
- My brain usually comes up with jokes to soften stressful situations
- I think color coordination, sparkles and rainbows are underused