One of the trendiest discussion topics in the last few months has been about detoxes. Everyone from A-List celebrities to raw food enthusiasts are talking about the benefits of fresh juices and smoothies. The question that I hear frequently is what is the difference between the two? When should you drink a juice and when should you go for a smoothie? To help you navigate the world of healthy eating with ease, I want to offer you my simple tips to finding out the option that will fit you best.
A smoothie is a blended drink that is made with whole fruits, whole leafy greens, milk or water and supplemental powders that can include ground flax seeds, maca, protein powders, mesquite, Lucama, etc (I will be blogging about the benefits of different supplements in an upcoming blog).
Benefits of Smoothies:
Fiber, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins, healthy carbs and sugars. Due to their fiber content, smoothies will satisfy hunger and can help you keep energized and focused for hours. Because smoothies are blended, the vegetables are easy to digest and the nutrients become easier to absorb than when eating them whole. Also, a smoothie is a fabulous meal to just grab and go, because you don’t have to sit down with a fork and a plate.
Juice is the liquid that is extracted from the fruits and vegetables. They are usually created with dark leafy greens, water-rich vegetables and fruits.
Benefits of Juices:
Phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins and healthy sugars. Because the juice is free of fiber, your body doesn’t have to do any work to extract the nutrients and as a result they go directly to your blood stream, supplying you with abundant energy. Juices are a perfect way to start the morning with. They are also great as an afternoon energy boost. Think of it as a much better and stronger way to energize your body than coffee! You will see that our OnJuice cleanses are all in the form of pure liquid that supplies you with the nutrition you need without requiring digestive work. As a result, the body can spend the extra energy on cleaning itself and getting rid of toxins.
RULE OF THUMB:
If you are tired AND hungry, then reach for the Smoothie because it has Nutrients AND fiber. If you are tired and NOT hungry, then reach for the pure Juice that does NOT have the fiber.
Why ask me?
- After many challenges and different crazy life experiences I am living my dream life and since my friends say I am pretty wisdomous and I think I am a little bit funny too, I want to share my life approach with you so you can live the life you love as well.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I am a creator of #1 Best Diet as selected by Harpers Baazar Magazine
- I started my career in the corporate world and didn't even know how to peel a shallot
- I have been a chef for celebrities for over 10 years
- I have a realistic approach to food and life
- I have a great relationship with food and can even let chocolate go bad because I simply forget I have it at home (something I wasn't able to do 10 years ago)
- I eat carbs whenever I feel like it without any guilt
- I used to hate to cook and now absolutely love being a private chef and a food relationship coach
- I wear whatever clothes I desire no matter what everyone is wearing or thinking
- I am in good shape and my body’s biological age is 13 years younger than the one in my passport
- I have experience being super poor, super wealthy and in between
- I’ve worked in corporate world and am now an entrepreneur
- I was married and divorced
- I used to cry going to work because I was so miserable with my boss
- I’ve had an emotional eating disorder
- I moved from Russia to USA alone at the age of 15
- I’ve lived in Russia, Europe and on both coasts of USA
- I have been super skinny and overweight
- I have been insecure and unhappy with reasons and secure and happy for no reason
- I used to wear glasses and healed my eyes with the power of thought and exercises
- I created "Couture Nutrition®" so you can have tailor-made solutions for your body and soul
- My brain usually comes up with jokes to soften stressful situations
- I think color coordination, sparkles and rainbows are underused