Arranged Diets and Arranged Marriages... Do they really work and make you happy?
In my line of work, friends often come to me to ask for nutrition advice. Recently I learned that 3 of my friends decided to go on diets - HCG hormone, Ducan diet and Protein Shakes diet. As a trained expert in nutrition, I tried to explain to them why I don't think that extreme diets are a way to go, but nothing seemed to click...until I used a different analogy that I would like to share in this blog.
When it comes to foods, you get to choose which ones you like and which ones don't like. For many perfectly strong reasons people overeat and end up with a less than desired body weight. So lets look at our relationships with food as we do at the ones with our significant others.
Chances are you picked the guys or girls you dated yourself. Now, they may not have been the right choices sometimes, but you figured your way out eventually and let go of the bad relationships. So what about food? Taking up an extreme diet is similar to agreeing to an arranged marriage. It is totally giving up on your own capacity to decide what is good for you and surrendering to someone else's opinion of what you should do.
I am not saying that we shouldn't listen to others about what to eat and what to avoid. But look at outside advice and diet books as if someone is setting you up on a blind-date. First see if you actually like a new relationship, before you commit to it.
What got you to the weight you are at, were your actions fueled by circumstances. Unless you analyze your behavior and figure out what got you there in the first place, how will you be able to carry on with food once the crash diet is over? Yes, some arranged marriages do work out and the couple may grow to love each other, but in many cases partners are not happy and divorce is inevitable. The same with diets. When you restrict your food options and calorie intakes, you let someone else control your life for a while.
If it is the instant satisfaction you are looking for, then the result will be similar to the one of having a fancy wedding and then going through a divorce. But once it is over, it is back to square one - figuring out your own way of eating that works for your body and your personality. You gotta do it eventually, so why not start now?
You are not an addict that can't be trusted with a box of cookies or a pizza. You are a smart person who may need to adjust your relationship with food and then follow with action.
Take some time to ask yourself what got you to the weight you are at. Why do you like to eat certain foods? How is your current portion control working out for you? What does it feel like when you indulge and how can your cravings be satisfied with non-food activities? After all, food is fuel, not necessarily entertainment. And if you are thinking that food is meant to bring pleasure and taste good, then that's yet another reason to avoid extreme diets - they usually don't allow much variety and they are not going to last long.
Hopefully this post evoked your thinking and you will look at arranged diets as you would an arranged marriage. Opt to learn about nutrition. Notice how food affects you and then make your own educated choices. Don't rob yourself by settling and giving up control to someone else. You CAN have it all - the happily ever after with the food and body you actually love!
5/26/2011 08:32:33 am
Loved your sharing ;) def makes a lot of sense!
Leave a Reply.
Why ask me?
- After many challenges and different crazy life experiences I am living my dream life and since my friends say I am pretty wisdomous and I think I am a little bit funny too, I want to share my life approach with you so you can live the life you love as well.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I am a creator of #1 Best Diet as selected by Harpers Baazar Magazine
- I started my career in the corporate world and didn't even know how to peel a shallot
- I have been a chef for celebrities for over 10 years
- I have a realistic approach to food and life
- I have a great relationship with food and can even let chocolate go bad because I simply forget I have it at home (something I wasn't able to do 10 years ago)
- I eat carbs whenever I feel like it without any guilt
- I used to hate to cook and now absolutely love being a private chef and a food relationship coach
- I wear whatever clothes I desire no matter what everyone is wearing or thinking
- I am in good shape and my body’s biological age is 13 years younger than the one in my passport
- I have experience being super poor, super wealthy and in between
- I’ve worked in corporate world and am now an entrepreneur
- I was married and divorced
- I used to cry going to work because I was so miserable with my boss
- I’ve had an emotional eating disorder
- I moved from Russia to USA alone at the age of 15
- I’ve lived in Russia, Europe and on both coasts of USA
- I have been super skinny and overweight
- I have been insecure and unhappy with reasons and secure and happy for no reason
- I used to wear glasses and healed my eyes with the power of thought and exercises
- I created "Couture Nutrition®" so you can have tailor-made solutions for your body and soul
- My brain usually comes up with jokes to soften stressful situations
- I think color coordination, sparkles and rainbows are underused