We often hear people refer to a significant other, a person that they love and care for. But what about "significant self?" I thought about one of my clients that is struggling to lose weight because she doesn't think she is significant enough. She doesn't feel she can be her own priority. As a result, her body is constantly in an emergency, fat-storing mode and if you think of an emergency on an airplane, what does the airlines ask you to do? Put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before putting it on a child! Let's see how it can be related to food.
First of all, I want to clarify what I mean by "significant self". Sure, if you are working on big project that a lot of people depend on, then you feel empowered by the "importance" of it and you feel significant. In that case you are more likely to stick to it. You feel needed, so that inspiration keeps you going. But what about being empowered and inspired to simply be in the best shape you can be? What about sticking to a healthy lifestyle and taking time for yourself on daily basis?
When it comes to being gentle with ourselves, we often shy away and don't think it is as important as taking care of your family. But think about it this way -- if you don't take good care of yourself, how can you take care of others? What kind of example are you setting for your family? Would you want your kids to grow up neglecting their health? Finally, when people don't allow themselves to regularly unwind, they end up waiting too long until only a cookie or a glass of wine will do the trick.
So, what's a girl to do? Whenever you have a thought that your self-care can wait, remember what every airline stresses in their pre-flight demonstrations: First put the oxygen mask on yourself, before you put it on a child. It's not about being selfish, it is about being loving and gentle with yourself so that you can take care of your other priorities.
VALENTINE'S MONTH CHALLENGE
Being gentle with ourselves doesn't mean taking time off at the expense of others. Instead it should be balanced with being kind to others. Being kind to ourselves will actually help you be kinder with others! So this Valentine's Month, take my challenge of taking 5 minutes out of your day and do something special for yourself EVERYDAY. Buy yourself flowers, smell your favorite candle or simply take time out for 300 seconds of slow breaths. Just simple 5-minute daily breaks can help your body get out of fat-storing mode into fat-burning. Remember your significant self and be fabulous!
Leave a Reply.
Why ask me?
- After many challenges and different crazy life experiences I am living my dream life and since my friends say I am pretty wisdomous and I think I am a little bit funny too, I want to share my life approach with you so you can live the life you love as well.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I am a creator of #1 Best Diet as selected by Harpers Baazar Magazine
- I started my career in the corporate world and didn't even know how to peel a shallot
- I have been a chef for celebrities for over 10 years
- I have a realistic approach to food and life
- I have a great relationship with food and can even let chocolate go bad because I simply forget I have it at home (something I wasn't able to do 10 years ago)
- I eat carbs whenever I feel like it without any guilt
- I used to hate to cook and now absolutely love being a private chef and a food relationship coach
- I wear whatever clothes I desire no matter what everyone is wearing or thinking
- I am in good shape and my body’s biological age is 13 years younger than the one in my passport
- I have experience being super poor, super wealthy and in between
- I’ve worked in corporate world and am now an entrepreneur
- I was married and divorced
- I used to cry going to work because I was so miserable with my boss
- I’ve had an emotional eating disorder
- I moved from Russia to USA alone at the age of 15
- I’ve lived in Russia, Europe and on both coasts of USA
- I have been super skinny and overweight
- I have been insecure and unhappy with reasons and secure and happy for no reason
- I used to wear glasses and healed my eyes with the power of thought and exercises
- I created "Couture Nutrition®" so you can have tailor-made solutions for your body and soul
- My brain usually comes up with jokes to soften stressful situations
- I think color coordination, sparkles and rainbows are underused