June usually means two things – start of summer travels and beginning of the storm season. To help you be prepared for both, I want to offer you my Z-tips for healthy, locally-made snacks to stock up on. They are great to take with you on the road, to the airport or to enjoy when you are at home without electricity.
Stay Strong With Protein
Did you know that flying can put a lot of stress on the body and affect your digestive system? In times like that, animal protein can be too hard for the body to handle, so I would recommend getting FroPro – a delicious protein bar made fresh in Boca. One small 136-calorie nugget boats 10 grams of protein, 7 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fat. My favorite one is the Chocolate Peanut Butter that’s made with Plant-Based Protein Powder, Peanut Butter, Rolled Oats, Cacao Powder, Raw Honey and Cinnamon. Check them out www.gofropro.com to find a retailer near you.
The Cookie To Live For
We all know that too much sugar is not good for us, yet many still give in their dessert cravings. I am a big believer in moderation and smart indulgences, so when I am in the mood for something rich, sweet and crunchy, I go for Ginny Bakes cookies. This Miami-based bakery specializes in non-gmo, organic and gluten-free treats that are to live for! GMO foods have been found to have a negative effect on health and gluten protein can be very hard to digest (For more information about gluten, check out my previous blog HERE – PLEASE ADD LINK) So, why settle for less? These cookies are delicious and Ginny’s 2-cookie snack packs can help you practice portion control. For more information on where to find, check out www.GinnyBakes.com
A New Take on Carbs
If you are like me, then you may get bored during a long road trip and want to snack. Usually that can backfire, since eating and sitting for hours is not the best idea. To help you satisfy the need to snack and stay healthy, I suggest checking out Shawnee’s Greenthumb Popcorn. Created in Miami, this non-gmo popcorn is unlike any other on the market – it is superfood. Shawnee did an outstanding job loading this fiber-rich snack with spirulina (the most nutrient-dense food on the planet), nutritional yeast (rich in protein and vitamin B-12), garlic powder, cayenne powder (helps boost metabolism) and kelp powder (helps regular thyroid function). Find it in the popcorn isle at Whole Foods or for other locations, check out www.greenthumbpopcorn.com
Get Your Greens On
Travel and tropical storms can be stressful and healthy dark leafy greens may be hard to find. When you find yourself in need of a strong nutritional boost, I recommend stocking up on energy bars with greens. One of my favorite company’s is Vero Beach-based Greens Plus. Not only are their chocolate-covered Greens + CHIA bars full of immunity-boosting nutrients, they taste like dessert! You can buy them at any Whole Foods or online at www.greensplus.com
Foods to keep your hydrated
Whether you are flying and want to stay hydrated on board or simply need a thirst-quenching snack while stuck at home during hurricane, I suggest reaching for Florida’s oranges and grapefruits. Their high potassium content will help you keep fluid in your body regulated and the vitamins and antioxidants can boost your immune system on crowded flights. Also, these fruits have a thick peel that makes them easy to transport and eat, since there is no hand-washing needed. NOTE: Grapefruits may interact with some medicines, so check with your doctor before you eat them.
Why ask me?
- After many challenges and different crazy life experiences I am living my dream life and since my friends say I am pretty wisdomous and I think I am a little bit funny too, I want to share my life approach with you so you can live the life you love as well.
Here is a little bit about me:
- I am a creator of #1 Best Diet as selected by Harpers Baazar Magazine
- I started my career in the corporate world and didn't even know how to peel a shallot
- I have been a chef for celebrities for over 10 years
- I have a realistic approach to food and life
- I have a great relationship with food and can even let chocolate go bad because I simply forget I have it at home (something I wasn't able to do 10 years ago)
- I eat carbs whenever I feel like it without any guilt
- I used to hate to cook and now absolutely love being a private chef and a food relationship coach
- I wear whatever clothes I desire no matter what everyone is wearing or thinking
- I am in good shape and my body’s biological age is 13 years younger than the one in my passport
- I have experience being super poor, super wealthy and in between
- I’ve worked in corporate world and am now an entrepreneur
- I was married and divorced
- I used to cry going to work because I was so miserable with my boss
- I’ve had an emotional eating disorder
- I moved from Russia to USA alone at the age of 15
- I’ve lived in Russia, Europe and on both coasts of USA
- I have been super skinny and overweight
- I have been insecure and unhappy with reasons and secure and happy for no reason
- I used to wear glasses and healed my eyes with the power of thought and exercises
- I created "Couture Nutrition®" so you can have tailor-made solutions for your body and soul
- My brain usually comes up with jokes to soften stressful situations
- I think color coordination, sparkles and rainbows are underused